Saturday, May 19, 2018

Four Day Cruise




Four Day Cruise



I got away with it. My wife, who normally has everything planned to the nth degree, was so busy she didn’t even look at the cruise deck plans. Yes, the ship is big. Very big. The Explorer of the Seas leaves out of Seattle on a four-day, round-trip cruise. She’s not a fan of large ships.
It wasn’t the cruise we had planned on at all. That was canceled. I had asked for the month of May off from work. The boss choked and complained. Then the people I was going with had a sick family member. I didn’t want to go without them, so I canceled too.
We were planning on visiting my wife’s mother in Tampa for 5 days, then leaving on the 14 day transatlantic cruise. Then a week in Italy, an overnight in Paris then another in Reykjavik Iceland, then home. That will have to happen next year instead.
I wanted to go on a cruise anyway. This one was cheap and it involved no airfare, so I booked it. My wife had been swamped so she didn’t ask what ship or anything, just, “Go ahead, I need the break.”
Seattle was only an hour and a half drive, even in heavy traffic. We parked at the pier then shuttled over to the ship. Boarding went very smoothly. It was the easiest I’ve ever seen. No lines and we breezed through in fifteen minutes. That was awesome.




When we arrived at the promenade deck was when she realized what size ship this was. We had taken the Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston a few years back. It’s around the same size. We walked around, after grabbing lunch, carrying the backpacks because the rooms weren’t ready yet. The first thing I learned is the food in the Windjammer Café isn’t the same in each line. The stuff at the back of the ship is better. Unfortunately, we had already eaten before we figured this out.
The lifeboat drill is never fun. We stood on deck waiting for the stragglers to arrive. The announcement finally came and they showed us how to put on life vests for the thirty-second time.
The voice of the cruise director came over the loudspeakers. “Now a word from our Captain.”
“Welcome to the beautiful… (Pause) (Whispers) “What ship are we on?”
(Whispers back) “Explorer of the Seas.”  
“The beautiful Explorer of the Seas.”
Of course everyone on the ship heard it. Roars of laughter echoed around the deck.
“He’s new,” one of the crew commented. “Just back from vacation.”



The crowd marched into the promenade area, clogged up the elevators for the next hour.
Just a word about the elevators. They’re hot and they’re not big enough. This cruise has the largest collection of wheelchairs, scooters, and walkers I’ve ever seen on a ship. Only one will fit in an elevator at a time. Only a couple of people can fit in with it. There’s a collection of wheelchairs and scooters on every floor waiting for an empty elevator. There are very few empty elevators.
We then made our way to the sail away party. Really only looked down at it a couple of times, mostly we were looking over the ship’s side to see if we were on our way yet. A few minutes after 6:00 pm the ship pulled out of the dock and traveled north.




 Seattle from the Sea

The coast was beautiful as we glided by. Saw a seal attack a bird. Not sure what type of bird it was though. It was thrashing it back and forth.
We ate at Chops Grill. That was an interesting experience. It was like the waiter resented us for being there. He took a long time to take our order. Food took a long time in arriving. He poured my water with his back to me. Then he took my wife’s key card and not mine. It was at least a half hour between servings and some of our food came out cold.
The food, when it was warm, was good, though. I was really frustrated that it took over two hours to eat and wanted out of there. I almost walked out at one point, but Deb told me I had to wait for the check. That took ten minutes between when he said he would bring it, and when it arrived.
My wife was exhausted by this point, so I went to the movie by myself. Our Darkest Hour. I love Winston Churchill and hadn’t seen the movie yet. I went to the 9:30 showing. It was a little breezy so I grabbed a blanket. Had to use my keycard to get it and when I went to return it after the movie, they were gone. I didn’t want to get charged for it, so I took it back to the stateroom with me.
I enjoyed the movie. I forgot to bring a jacket on the cruise because it was an unusually warm day for Western Washington when we left the house. The weather became colder and colder and the wind picked up. I clutched my blanket around me. More and more people were giving up. In the end I think there were only two of us die-hards left. I was freezing. 






It was lucky there were subtitles because a jet passed over us at one point, low and loud. Fog started rolling over the ship and the fog horn blared out on regular intervals.
Tired and cold, I headed back to the stateroom.

Day 2 Sea Day

We didn’t get up till nine. That’s the problem with having an inside cabin is you have no natural sunlight to let you know what time of day it is. We took the customs form down to the front desk, returned the blanket from last night and headed to breakfast.
There was a line and we were worried that the main dining room would close its doors right at 9:30. Luckily they didn’t. We shared a table with a newlywed couple. It was their first cruise and Sailor Deb was all sorts of helpful to them in telling them what to do and what not to miss.
I wasn’t impressed. The food seemed to be the exact same stuff you can get in the buffet, only they make you wait while they bring it to you. My pancakes were dried out like they had been under a heat lamp a long time.
The captain’s noon announcement included the joke of the day. “What’s trembling at the bottom of the ocean? A nervous wreck.”
We played miniature golf. The wind was strong, but not like the last ship we played on where the balls were getting blown around in the wind.
I ate at Johnny Rockets today. I ate alone since Deb didn’t want to. The guy next to me complained that he was getting a hernia trying to get his milkshake through a straw. But then he spilled it. Some of it hit his lap, the rest hit the floor. Nobody seemed to be in a hurry to clean it up. Someone finally put paper towels over the mess. It’s a start, I guess.
I really enjoyed it. Note to self. The shakes are fifty cents cheaper at the Promenade Café and don’t come with a ten dollar surcharge.




The place to hang out was the Schooner Bar. It had trivia and wordplay games. It was fun. We dashed out of there to go to the meet and mingle. Royal Caribbean will host the party on seven days or longer cruise, but not four-day cruises so we did our own. It was held in a suite on deck ten. Nice room. Our stateroom wasn’t much bigger than their bathroom.
Finally we made it to the main dining room. All our tablemates were women. I feel very outnumbered. I just sat there and listened to the conversations while drinking my five, or was it six, glasses of water and eating my dinner. Food is good. I enjoyed it.
The production show Fast Forward was also very good. The one woman singer was outstanding, I have to say, the other singers and dancers were above par of what I’ve seen on cruise ships in the past. The show was fun and fast moving. I really enjoyed it.
Sailor Deb went out to the movies under the stars to watch The Greatest Showman. At least the last half of it. She’s seen it before so catching up wouldn’t be a problem. Staying warm was though.

Nanaimo

I was starving, but it was only four or five in the morning. Couldn’t sleep, so I headed down to the Promenade Café to grab a bite to eat. They still had some sandwiches so I asked for one. A few minutes later they took the rest of them off the shelf and threw them away. I’m hoping I don’t get food poisoning from a too old sandwich. After that they put the pastries on the shelf, so I asked for one of them. I was told they didn’t open till six, but I was given one anyway. Stomach now satisfied, I headed back to bed.
Slept till around 8. I could hear the captain announce something, but couldn’t make it out. I suppose it was that Bingo was starting. What else would you announce on a cruise ship? We had a leisurely breakfast then headed down to the gangway There is a free bus that takes the ship’s passengers all over Nanaimo. The line for the bus was very long and a lot of people gave up and walked into town. It’s about a mile or so. Not that we haven’t done walks into town that far, it’s just a lot of times I live to regret it. Since the ship is so large and forces so much walking anyway, we took the bus.
Stopped by and watched the cannons fire at noon, and then again at one. In between we walked over the bridge and out to the yacht club and then back. Did some shopping in old town. Learned about a ship named the Oscar that exploded in the harbor and took out all the windows in the historic church, except one. I’ll have to look that up when I get home. 






We did a little shopping but didn’t buy anything. We were people in the crowd on a movie set. It’s a Hallmark movie, Chesapeake Harbor.  We were trying to get out of the way, but still wanted to watch. The actors were across the street from us, but the camera was pointed in our direction. So I’ll have to watch that episode to see if I’m in it.
I did get to eat a Nanaimo bar in Nanaimo. That was my great accomplishment of the day. They did straight across on the exchange rate. I didn’t like that. It’s .78 to a dollar, so I’m paying 22% more than I should have.
The tier level party was next. I drank a fruit punch then listened to them congratulate people for cruising so many times on Royal Caribbean then the Next Cruise person spoke and said, “The way to get to the next level is to come see me!” It felt like a sales pitch with free fruit punch. They did tell us about the ships that are moving in and out of Alaska. The eleven day Alaska cruise sounded interesting. I’ll have to check it out.
Saw people running for the ship because they were late, but no announcements which usually means everyone made it aboard. Went to dinner. None of our tablemates arrived until twenty minutes after they should have been there and it was only the three German women. We finished way before them, I even had a second bowl of the minestrone soup. It was good.
Played cards then played music trivia. We graded the winning team’s paper and they gave us a highlighter they had won, because they didn’t want it. So I got a prize. They had 20 right and we had 12. That was a lot more than I expected to get though. I don’t do well in that category.
The movie under the starts wasn’t great. Deb gave up first. I was going to stick it out, but gave up soon after. Abdul and Victoria, or vice versa. Should have watched the magician, he was indoors where it was warm. Movies under the stars is more of a Caribbean thing.

Victoria

We were in the port and docked before either one of us managed to get out of bed. I don’t know how people can gain weight on a cruise with all the walking you do. My legs are tired.
We opted for the buffet again, and again I had to wait a long time to get my omelette. Tomorrow I think I’ll give up and have breakfast in the dining room if it’s open.
We walked the ten minutes to Fisherman’s Wharf and grabbed a water taxi into the city. They dropped us off in Chinatown. We explored that, then headed down to the harbor, where we went to the Maritime Museum. I have no idea why they moved this nice little museum, but it isn’t worth the fifteen dollar admission fee. There are very few displays compared with what they had before. I was disappointed.







Then we had a milkshake across the street from the Empress Hotel. After that we visited the Royal BC Museum. It was around the same price as the Maritime, but infinitely larger. Three massive stories. It would be great if they could combine the two into one.






After wandering through the Empress, we took the water taxi back to Fisherman’s Wharf. This time the captain was more agreeable to tell us stories of the harbor and how killer whales sometimes come near the mouth of it to hunt seals. Another interesting thing he told us was the houseboats around the wharf cost about 300 to 400 thousand to buy and another ten thousand in moorage a year.
We stepped out of the taxi and were met by a pedicab driver who wanted to take us back to the ship, so I let him.
Back on board we went to lunch. Then we took in the ice skating show. This was very good. I enjoyed it. Then dinner, up to the library to play games and then watched the Las Vegas Tenors. They were very good also. Worth seeing even though they didn’t play any country music.

Home
We decided to do a walk off. We would skip breakfast and rush home at 6:30 in the morning before our stomachs woke up. Being on a cruise, you expect food every hour on the hour. Getting off was a breeze as very few people were up and out at that time.

Overview.
Too short. I think that covers it. I like the longer than seven-day cruises better. I once was okay booking inside cabins, but I think that one was our last.
The food was great. The only things I didn’t like were the ones my wife ordered and then said, “Try this.”
“Yuck, that’s terrible.” I replied.
Yeah, I didn’t like it either.”
Then why did she feed it to me? My food was good.
The ship, too big for my wife. I was okay with it as it had plenty of things to do.
The organized activities, I thought, were lacking.
Would I do it again? I probably will, but I want to go other places first.
 
 
Cruise Books by Deb Graham
 
Cruise Addict's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment